Let’s face it. There is nothing attractive about mould. Most tenants visit multiple properties before they choose the one they’d like to live in – and unsurprisingly, they’re usually quite selective.
The presence of mould can make an otherwise stunning property look disgusting. It could also suggest a more serious problem such as structural damage.
That aside, mould is potentially dangerous to the respiratory and immune system, causing breathing problems, and even triggering an asthma attack in some cases.
Mould is caused by condensation and excess water on walls, typically due to a temperature differential between the inside of a property and the outside. This is usually an issue in the cold winter and autumn months when tenants turn up the heat to make the house warm. It also poses a problem in areas with high humidity or rainfall figures.
Unfortunately, you can’t control what tenants decide to do while living in your property – some like to dry their clothes inside and this can cause excess water on walls.
Dehumidifiers are roughly the size of a standard portable heater and remove water from a room in order to reduce the likelihood of mould.
Getting rid of mould (professionally) can cost a lot of money and eat into your profits.
Even if the mould is removed, it can still return – this is due to the temperature differential issue. A tenant could sue you for renting out a property that is dangerous to their health.
Long-term mould can cause structural damage to walls and the beams in the roof – this is expensive to fix.
A dehumidifier sucks air and cools it in order to remove moisture. The water gets dumped into a bucket and dry air is blown back into the room.
(Additional source: www.rent.com.aiu/blog/dehumidifier-can-keep-mould-bay-property)
- The size of the room you want to dehumidify
- The method of collection (do you want something with continuous drainage?)
- The energy rating of the dehumidifier
Remove Moisture From My Home